Xylitol Food Additive Harmful to Household Pets

Image of chewing gum.

People love sweets and so do many dogs. In fact, some dogs love their family's sweet treats and sneak bites of it when the humans aren't looking. You or your children probably also share goodies with your family pet. Many sweets are made with the substance called xylitol.

Xylitol is used to manufacture many sweet tasting products including: chocolates, cookies, cakes, ice creams, other baked goods and hard candies. You'll find it in toothpaste and hygiene products, some vitamins, gums and mints. In fact, xylitol has been included in products that are sweet in nature and may be labeled as sugar-free.

You may be aware that xylitol is available for bulk purchases and large quantities may be regularly maintained in your household for your family's baking and food preparation needs.

Why? Xylitol is a sugar alcohol being used as a sweetener. Xylitol is often used in products for ingestion by diabetic individuals and it has less calories than regular sugar. The xylitol makes the product taste sweet and doesn't have the same effect on blood sugar that sugar products have.

Eric K. Dunayer indicates in New Findings on the Effects of Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs, that even though xylitol is safe for people, the lives of dogs can be threatened by ingesting it. Just two or three sticks of xylitol gum could be toxic to a 20-pound dog.

Dogs can experience liver failure due to xylitol toxicity. The substance can create changes in their blood sugar, impair it to create hypoglycemia and derail their liver so that it will not filter properly. The liver is the primary organ that controls detoxification and supports proper blood clotting throughout the body.

The United States Food and Drug Administration warned pet owners that xylitol toxicity can be harmful to their dogs. The FDA also issued this warning about ferrets. Because of the known tendency of xylitol to be toxic to dogs it is critical to keep all products containing the substance out of their reach. The consequences of ingesting xylitol can be catastrophic. If you think your dog has ingested xylitol immediately contact your veterinarian, local poison control center or the pet poison hotline at 800-213-6680.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

North Shore Animal Hospital

Monday:

8:00 am-6:30 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-6:30 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-6:30 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-1:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Testimonials

  • "The staff are always very good- friendly, caring and efficient and always follow up to see if there are any questions or new developments. I always feel that my pets are both well cared for and cared about. Thank you for all of your help."
    -Scott Farnsworth
  • "For a first time Dog owner, I am extremely grateful that the clinic answers all of our questions and ensures our puppy is growing in a healthy manner. All of the staff are nothing short of Wonderful!"
    -Andy Donovan
  • "North Shore's staff is extremely friendly and knowledeable. They go above and beyond to make their furry patients feel safe and calm. My dog is extremely cooperative and happy while she is in their care. I highly recommend their services."
    -Erica Frazier
  • "We have been coming to North Shore for at least 15 years. Our cats have always been treated with respect and kindness. From the moment we step through the doors, we are treated as guests!"
    -Terry Preischel
  • "As a new pet owner, I had lots of questions. The staff answered all of my questions. The staff was so friendly and kind to myself, dog and children. I was expecting to feel uncomfortable as a new pet owner, but my first visit was beyond my expectations."
    -Erica Pie